Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Florida State and Bobby Bowden's future?

In no way am I trying to downplay the seriousness of the circumstances surrounding the Florida State academic cheating scandal, but couldn't the athletes involved have chosen a subject other than Music History. I do remember my days in college and the music appreciation course that I took, the History of Jazz. I will grant you that it was not the easy course that I was expecting; but if I were going to risk cheating on an exam, the History of Jazz would have been way down on my list.

It is a real shame that the athletes involved do not have more respect for their university, their athletic programs and their coaches. The cheating athletes were not only football players, but the football program is certainly the center of attention. And rightfully so! As many as 23 players face suspensions. It is a shame that Bobby Bowden, in the waning years of his coaching career, has to deal with something like this. He is already dealing with an unexcited fan base due to Florida State's less than impressive record over the past few years. Hopefully this latest incident does not force Coach Bowden to step away from a game and a program that he has given so much to over the years.

No comments: